Urgent Evoke

A crash course in changing the world.

i am a maintenance electrician in an industrial setting. what that means is that process operators call me when their automated equipment is not working, and i troubleshoot it and get it back online. for each call that i go to, i apply the same formula for solving the problem:

1. verify that there is actually a problem. sometimes nothing is broken, and in fact the problem is operator error.

2. isolate the problem. sometimes the symptoms of a problem aren't very helpful in identifying the cause. and sometimes the root of a problem can be 5 steps up or down the line from where the problem becomes apparent. sometimes figuring out what ISN'T broken is what leads to to what IS broken.

3. make the repair.

4. test the repair and verify that everything is working. make adjustments when necessary.  sometimes this can be very time consuming.

5. put the equipment back into service.

i find this thought process to be pretty effective. i think it could be useful in solving many of the worlds problems, or at least in identifying the root cause of them.

so i am going to play the role of the operator, and you guys come and fix my machine.

i operate a country in africa, and my country is broken. the symptoms of my problems are widespread famine and sickness. please come and figure this out for me!

*ps, your operator is typically your best resource in helping you isolate the problem. ask lots of questions.

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

were she a blog, I would vote her.

supper analogy. great point about the operator. You'd think, considering that point, that elementary school and high school would have a little bit on psychology and self-motivation.
thanks man. i'm kinda new around here... do these forums see much traffic? i'd really like it if i can get some people involved in this little exercise.
To be honest, the popular blog posts have faster and longer discussion than the discussion forums, usually. The forums see traffic, but this post for instance is a blogger for sure. I would tag it for mission 1 learn (aka 'learn1'), personally.

When you blog, whether you get a good discussion going or not is part luck. But there are lots of blogs with discussions to join (watch traffic on the lower right sidebar for what's going on presently), and occasionally they may be on ye'r own posts =)

also, see http://www.urgentevoke.com/profiles/blogs/evoke-official-ongoing

which is a portal to some great projects in discussion and 'new agent rest stops'.

btw, the season is in it's evokation phase - many people are doing their last assignments for the season, creating a project to win seed funding or a trip to a summit and such (due may 19). may 12th was the closing day for certain types of credit for taking part in the game - more on the meta game here

http://blog.urgentevoke.net/
thanks. i might just copy and paste this into the blog like you suggest. thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Ning Admin is now a member of Urgent Evoke
May 17, 2023
N updated their profile
Sep 25, 2020
Sophie C. commented on Asger Jon Vistisen's blog post Stinging Nettle
"I love that you've brought this to attention. An extensive database of uncommon but resistant and hardy plants/foods could be developed and organized by climate. Ease of growth and processing should also be taken in to account. I will try to…"
Aug 19, 2020
Meghan Mulvey posted a blog post

Fourth of July on the Lake

This past weekend was the annual celebration at the lake house in Connecticut. It is amazing that the lake is still so clear and beautiful after all these years. The watershed association has done a wonderful job protecting these waters from the damaging effects of development.The wood grill was finally ready to cook on, so we didn't miss the propane tank fueled grill anymore. The food actually tasted fresher than in the past and was easy to keep fueled.Dad was very proud of the solar hybrid…See More
Jul 6, 2020
Asger Jon Vistisen posted a blog post

Stinging Nettle

In this blog post I will focus on a plant that is abundant in our nature, and which is immensely nutritious. It's of course the Stinging Nettle. Let's start with the chemical constituents of this plant:37 % Non-Nitrogen-Extracts19 - 29 % Ash9 - 21 % Fiber4 % Fat22 % ProteinOnce the leaves are drid, their protein content can reach an astounding 40 %, which is much higher than beef, which even under the best of circ**stances can never exceed 31 % protein. In addition the Stinging Nettle consists…See More
Apr 13, 2020
Jonathon McCallum posted a blog post

The meal

It is 7'oclock, I was late home from work due to an assignment that i wanted to get ahead on. By the time I get home I am feeling extremley tired and I cannot be bothered to make a proper meal. I walk to the fridge and open it to see what there is for me to eat. All of the out of date foodstuffs have been automaticaly thrown away by the fridge, they will be recycled tomorrow as animal feed or something. I see i have organic local eggs and some local cheese. Foods are vacc** sealded for easy…See More
Mar 10, 2020
Jean Paul Galea shared a profile on Facebook
Mar 1, 2020
Kevin posted a blog post

Future

FutureToday is 2020/1/1. It is just like yesterday. The war is still continuing. It has started since 2010. In 2010, that year was a horrible year. Almost every energy ran out. Every country’s governments were crushed down at the same time. There were riots everywhere. All of the big company’s bosses were killed xdeadx in the riots. Troops fought each other everywhere. Food was bought up xawayx at once. There were no more food supplies in any shops. The economy was all crushed down. All the…See More
Jan 1, 2020
Namwaka Mooto posted blog posts
Jan 13, 2016
T D updated their profile
Sep 3, 2015
Brook Warner posted blog posts
Aug 25, 2015
Santiago Vega posted blog posts
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega commented on Santiago Vega's blog post Act 8
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega posted photos
May 5, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted blog posts
May 2, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted a photo

public servants

The exchange works directly for state and public workers and servants. It gives them credit in exchange for the amount of public work they contribute to the community. The more constructive they are based off a base rate the more credit they recieve.
May 2, 2015

Follow EVOKE on Twitter

Official EVOKE Facebook Page

EVOKE RSS Activity Feed

© 2024   Created by Alchemy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service