Urgent Evoke

A crash course in changing the world.

=====Breaking News======

There are now 8 teacher projects, and we're starting to make tracks. Come sign up for one -- see the wiki for details!

=====================

There have been many posts in other threads about getting a group of teachers together here on EVOKE. I'd like to pull us together. Here's my suggestion:

1. In this thread, post who you are and what you teach -- or, if you're a teacher-type but not actually a teacher, like me, tell us what you do. Tell us also where you're from!

2. Check out the google doc that happyseaurcin started -- it has ideas about how to engage teachers in EVOKE.

3. Take a look at the wiki (http://urgentevoke.wikia.com/) and visit the Calling All Teachers page. Add your name (and a link back to your EVOKE profile, if you like) if you'd like to collaborate. If you have an idea for a project, add it to the brainstorming section.

Let's see if we can get traction over the next couple of weeks and maybe pick an idea or two to develop more fully!

** Posted in grateful acknowledgment of everyone who added comments to the collaboration page, with hopes that this thread makes it easier for us to find each other. **

Views: 549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Simon, I wonder if the Librivox project can play a role here. Tons of free, public domain, mp3 format audiobooks on a huge variety of subjects.

Simon Brookes said:
Calling all teachers. I just wanted to share with you this link from an article in the Guardian Online newspaper. It tells of a fabulous initiative set-up by the equally fabulous Professor Sugata Mitra (of "H*** in the Wall" computers fame). If you are not aware of his work then I also implore you to find out more about his amazing projects.

This project is beautiful in it's simplicity. I quote:

"When I last visited India, I asked the children what they would most like to use Skype for. Surprisingly, they said they wanted British grandmothers to read them fairytales."

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/mortarboard/2010/mar/16/reading...

and a related article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/16/slumdog-millionaire...

I find it hard to read these articles without getting emotional. It is such a simple but massively powerful thing to do. The impact, of course, for the children living in poverty in these Indian slums is huge. Those of us who were lucky enough to be read to when we were children now realise what a formative activity it is. We learn knowledge, morals, ethics, values, how to listen, to question - we learn how to learn!

I see that he is now looking for maths and science teachers to participate. The potential is massive.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Simon
We have projects!

There are now six projects outlined in the wiki -- it's time to sign up and get started! Here's a little taste; more information, timelines, and signups are all on the wiki. What looks good to you? Join in!

1. EVOKing in the Classroom
Project Goals:
* Create a curriculum package that teachers can use to run an EVOKE-like experience in their cla**** (with or without access to the Urgent EVOKE site).
* Assist teachers who want help as they run it for the first time.

2. Joint Paper: Social Innovation
Project Goals:
* Research social innovation topics.
* Prepare a paper (or other product) to educate students about social innovation.

3. Classroom Unconference
Project Goals:
* Create a template for running a classroom unconference (on social innovation?)
* Distribute the template to interested teachers.

4. Barefoot Doctor
Project Goals:
* Develop a protocol for teaching people about nutrition and personal preferences.
* Host an online clinic for interested people.

5. Virtual Evoke
Project Goals:
* Create an EVOKE space in Second Life.
* Educate visitors to the space about EVOKE.

6. Project GameChanger
Project Goals:
* Create an open-source board or card game with an online component that teaches players about food security, climate change, social justice, collaboration, and tolerance, customizable by geographic location.
* Promote the game to teachers.
* Assist teachers who want to use the game in their classrooms.

Don't see a project you like? Sounds like you'd better propose one! Just add it to the list on the wiki.

Let's get stuff done!
Great post ninamh... thanks for laying out the projects....

ninmah said:
We have projects!

There are now six projects outlined in the wiki -- it's time to sign up and get started! Here's a little taste; more information, timelines, and signups are all on the wiki. What looks good to you? Join in!

1. EVOKing in the Classroom
Project Goals:
* Create a curriculum package that teachers can use to run an EVOKE-like experience in their cla**** (with or without access to the Urgent EVOKE site).
* Assist teachers who want help as they run it for the first time.

2. Joint Paper: Social Innovation
Project Goals:
* Research social innovation topics.
* Prepare a paper (or other product) to educate students about social innovation.

3. Classroom Unconference
Project Goals:
* Create a template for running a classroom unconference (on social innovation?)
* Distribute the template to interested teachers.

4. Barefoot Doctor
Project Goals:
* Develop a protocol for teaching people about nutrition and personal preferences.
* Host an online clinic for interested people.

5. Virtual Evoke
Project Goals:
* Create an EVOKE space in Second Life.
* Educate visitors to the space about EVOKE.

6. Project GameChanger
Project Goals:
* Create an open-source board or card game with an online component that teaches players about food security, climate change, social justice, collaboration, and tolerance, customizable by geographic location.
* Promote the game to teachers.
* Assist teachers who want to use the game in their classrooms.

Don't see a project you like? Sounds like you'd better propose one! Just add it to the list on the wiki.

Let's get stuff done!
I teach Computing, but mix in Ethics as well as Environmentalism and basic Physics at a college in England. How can I help?
Excellent, Simon! All the projects need people, at this point, so pick whichever is of interest to you and sign up on the wiki. Or, suggest a project idea of your own if you're not into any of those. Welcome!
This is a great idea. Thanks so much! My name is Cheryl Douglas and I teach Biology at an independent boys' school in Cape Town South Africa. I run a Global Issues Network group - about 20 Gr 10 and 11 boys meet every Thurs afternoon in a civics period and 2-3 evenings per term. We use the Millenium Development goals and Rischard's book High Noon 20 Global Problems 20 Years to Solve them as the basis for idenifying global problems and Evoke came at just the right time as I have a new group and this has acted as a wonderful stimulus and the boys are keen on develop projects that they can put into action to make a difference in our community. I've had such fun encouraging the boys and Evoke has really inspired some of my top students - they have to do a Science project and many of them are thinking how they can do a project that links to some of the gloabl issues that are raised an Evoke.
www.bishops.org.za
HI Gang,

I m off to LunaCon in rye NY ...panelist on some future sci/tech panels.... will be back on line late Sunday night/ Monday morning.

I am psyched about getting Virtual Evoke in SL going...News on that front is we attracted the notice of Linden Labs, Claudia L'Amoreaux the Education Programs Manager at Linden Lab contacted me through Evoke. So I am in contact with her….

As far as the build is concerned… I like to pull the coders and 3-D artists from the Evoke pool of people if we can but if we can’t I can talk to my industry contacts.

I shall send a note to the Evoke staff on this as far as permissions to pull feeds for update screens.
And that’s it for now….everyone have a great weekend…

Namaste

KDV
Kevin, have a great trip, and I'm looking forward to working with you on the Virtual Evoke project when you get back! I'll keep trying to find interested folks while you're gone. Safe travels --

Kevin DiVico said:
HI Gang,

I m off to LunaCon in rye NY ...panelist on some future sci/tech panels.... will be back on line late Sunday night/ Monday morning.

I am psyched about getting Virtual Evoke in SL going...News on that front is we attracted the notice of Linden Labs, Claudia L'Amoreaux the Education Programs Manager at Linden Lab contacted me through Evoke. So I am in contact with her….

As far as the build is concerned… I like to pull the coders and 3-D artists from the Evoke pool of people if we can but if we can’t I can talk to my industry contacts.

I shall send a note to the Evoke staff on this as far as permissions to pull feeds for update screens.
And that’s it for now….everyone have a great weekend…

Namaste

KDV
Hi, Cheryl, and welcome to the group! If you or your students are interested in working on any of the projects in the teacher wiki, please do sign up! Glad you're here.
Hello
My name is Aisling O'Donovan. I am teacher and teacher trainer, based in Pamplona, Spain. In 2009 I was privileged to have been involved in an EU project dedicated to designing and using ARGs in education. The game we developed and piloted was called Tower of Babel. My particular role in that project was to design the methodology doc**ent aimed at teachers. We worked together from countries all over Europe to do that.
At the moment I have been given a brief to design a course which uses gaming with secondary students. When teaching, I teach English as a second language, principally to adults. When teacher training, I work with teachers who teach curricular subjects at secondary and primary level, through English. Right now, Evoke seems to be the perfect thing to become involved with. I would really like to join the teacher project team.
Hi Aisling, and welcome! We are delighted to have you in the group, especially with your experience. I encourage you to visit the wiki and sign up for any projects that you are interested in, particularly if they align with your brief. Thanks for posting!
Hi teachers & teacher kin,

There are now 8, count them, 8 fantastic projects on the Teacher Wiki -- it's time to jump in and start making tracks! I'm heading up "EVOKing in the Classroom," and I would love to have any/all of you working on it with me. There's a link right under the project description that goes to the project workspace where the curriculum will be drafted. I've sketched out a skeleton framework, and I have a little more to add, but please feel free to leap in any time with changes, suggestions, additions...

There are also a couple of projects that have no coordinator as yet. If you're interested, or if you suggested the project, please go ahead and claim it! I'd love to see one or two more of them (if not ALL of them) getting underway too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Ning Admin is now a member of Urgent Evoke
May 17, 2023
N updated their profile
Sep 25, 2020
Sophie C. commented on Asger Jon Vistisen's blog post Stinging Nettle
"I love that you've brought this to attention. An extensive database of uncommon but resistant and hardy plants/foods could be developed and organized by climate. Ease of growth and processing should also be taken in to account. I will try to…"
Aug 19, 2020
Meghan Mulvey posted a blog post

Fourth of July on the Lake

This past weekend was the annual celebration at the lake house in Connecticut. It is amazing that the lake is still so clear and beautiful after all these years. The watershed association has done a wonderful job protecting these waters from the damaging effects of development.The wood grill was finally ready to cook on, so we didn't miss the propane tank fueled grill anymore. The food actually tasted fresher than in the past and was easy to keep fueled.Dad was very proud of the solar hybrid…See More
Jul 6, 2020
Asger Jon Vistisen posted a blog post

Stinging Nettle

In this blog post I will focus on a plant that is abundant in our nature, and which is immensely nutritious. It's of course the Stinging Nettle. Let's start with the chemical constituents of this plant:37 % Non-Nitrogen-Extracts19 - 29 % Ash9 - 21 % Fiber4 % Fat22 % ProteinOnce the leaves are drid, their protein content can reach an astounding 40 %, which is much higher than beef, which even under the best of circ**stances can never exceed 31 % protein. In addition the Stinging Nettle consists…See More
Apr 13, 2020
Jonathon McCallum posted a blog post

The meal

It is 7'oclock, I was late home from work due to an assignment that i wanted to get ahead on. By the time I get home I am feeling extremley tired and I cannot be bothered to make a proper meal. I walk to the fridge and open it to see what there is for me to eat. All of the out of date foodstuffs have been automaticaly thrown away by the fridge, they will be recycled tomorrow as animal feed or something. I see i have organic local eggs and some local cheese. Foods are vacc** sealded for easy…See More
Mar 10, 2020
Jean Paul Galea shared a profile on Facebook
Mar 1, 2020
Kevin posted a blog post

Future

FutureToday is 2020/1/1. It is just like yesterday. The war is still continuing. It has started since 2010. In 2010, that year was a horrible year. Almost every energy ran out. Every country’s governments were crushed down at the same time. There were riots everywhere. All of the big company’s bosses were killed xdeadx in the riots. Troops fought each other everywhere. Food was bought up xawayx at once. There were no more food supplies in any shops. The economy was all crushed down. All the…See More
Jan 1, 2020
Namwaka Mooto posted blog posts
Jan 13, 2016
T D updated their profile
Sep 3, 2015
Brook Warner posted blog posts
Aug 25, 2015
Santiago Vega posted blog posts
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega commented on Santiago Vega's blog post Act 8
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega posted photos
May 5, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted blog posts
May 2, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted a photo

public servants

The exchange works directly for state and public workers and servants. It gives them credit in exchange for the amount of public work they contribute to the community. The more constructive they are based off a base rate the more credit they recieve.
May 2, 2015

Follow EVOKE on Twitter

Official EVOKE Facebook Page

EVOKE RSS Activity Feed

© 2024   Created by Alchemy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service