Urgent Evoke

A crash course in changing the world.

Challenge: Build TRUST for strong reputation networks

Over the next 6 weeks we have a rare opportunity to work closely with people around the world who we may never meet.  Then again, we may find that our evokations take us to other corners of the globe to places where we will need to rely on each other for survival.  This network we are weaving here will mean life or death for many in our extended circles and it is important enough that we take this role we share seriously as we grow into this work together.

To work together we must first know that we can trust one another.  Trust is a very difficult thing to pin down and know when working virtually through words, videos and photos.  While video and skype and other remote conferencing tools provide some sense of what the other is like it is still rare for us to truly connect and form a kinship of respect with others in digital space.  We may make friends here but few of those friendships will really stick around long term.  The bonds that will last will be forged over our evokations and long term endeavors where we choose to partner together to build more than we can do alone.

How do we build partnerships based on trust and respect?  First we LISTEN.  We hear where others are, what's going on for them and what their struggles are in the current situation.  We offer what resources we can but do not force our will on others -- we work gently and with compassion for the great journey that others have taken to be at this place with us.

My question to you is:  how do you build trust in these networks?  How can you express to others that you are a trustworthy person who will get the job done and be dependable in times of extreme stress and crisis?

Views: 606

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Evo I just posted a blog on this issue (under food security ACT2). I find personally that trust is built in person, face to face. So I have suggested developing some realtime action forums to actually set our Evoke agendas together. As time is short, it will be interesting to see if the network responds, and to what level. An interesting experiment within an experiment. Trust also comes with working together and over time. Let me know what you think.
Hello everyone

I have learned a great deal about trust just by reading these posts. Thank you for that. I always knew the definition of the word but not how it is developed and how it can be better fostered. I am going to save the comment tread of what everyone said and visit it regularly.

It may not be a good idea for me to come clean with this but I have lost the trust of a lot of my social circle and am trying to improve my social skills and trustworthiness. I am grateful. These are some of the most clear words I have heard in a while regarding the issue of trust. Thank you again.
How to trust other people? I don't know, because I don't know many of us. To be true I thaught at first, we were playing some kind of MMOG, then I was disapointed to speak of trust in a game. But if it's necessary, then I'll say that to earn someone else trust is nothing more but tough work.

It require time and observation of other people journey. Don't be upset if I say that it's almost imposible to create a VIRTUAL trust gaming network. Yes we do share a common goal and have ability to help people who maybe doesn't need our help, but only freedom from our attention. And sorry for Alchemy the game still exist but I'm not convice of it.
I don't know if we are talking of a game, or something else. This is why I chose to consider it as both.

For this reason, I ask myself why should I comme to collaborate with others? Does anything force us to collaborate and befriend in order to go to something concrete? To be true I believe we all have a personnal goal and assets to improve being here. It's not my role, or my goal to discover or juge them, but what I saw, in the game and around, lead me to exercice small cautions mesures like anyone does.

I hope i'm not the only one to think that way.

It's clear that my words refer me as someone affraid to join the all things. For my part part I take the time to consider why are those in need, really waiting anything from us?

Why are we suppose to help?

Is it so evident, that earth need us to be saved?

Not for me.

Even if I believe something must be done, I'm confuse with the so obvius need to save the planet we are suppose to show.
As long as I'll remain confuse, It will be difficult to show OBVIUS TRUST.
Building trust takes time but it's not impossible to build friendships with like-minded people on a social network where it's unlikely a face-to-face meeting will happen.

A Tibeten monk once said (this being in a virtual reality world so he sure looked like a monk), "Everything changes, Avatars; places; styles, but the heart remains". He was referring to the way we can change an avatar to look like anything we want - a dreamy figure, taller and handsome or 30 years younger, but the person behind the avatar remains the same. This would be true in this type of network with few clues other than posts.

Time will tell but my guess is there will be a lot of life-long connections happening when this 'game' is over.
My experiences have taught me that trust is unnecessary so long as the objective of the collaboration is clear and the steps to reach that objective have been defined or cleared away. This is why many times objectives must become smaller, as to allow outside forces such as life, to work within the flexibility of the planning.

Undercover angels, anonymous magick men and women, whatever you want to call us/them... The ones that do something that saves a charity event or aid those in distress that are too honorable or scared to ask with no quarter asked save for that charity, event, or people continues forward of it's own will.

Here on Evoke, I have found myself honing my skill set with views and perspectives I have never considered before. I am struggling with some missions as I never really thought in those directions before. But I am trying to focus on things that I can see a clear path from where I am now to get to those objectives.

But I admit, the hardest part of the work that we do is not being found out. People and ideas need help to grow, not crutches to lean on and cages to hem them in.
Good question on who we get to be, Evo. Mark Mulkerin hints at it. Garick (thanks for the mnemonic) hits it on the head, in my humble opinion.

Consider that it's probably not trust, but rather, a decision made inside of a shared gaming-commitment, where we decide whether or not someone offers enough value to us that we may work together. There are some cases where value has disappeared.

I'm ready to work with so many marvelous people I see participating. It's my privilege, entirely!!!
There is a structure that works to stabilize groups into excellent productivity. It is: groups of three people called triads. Every pair in the triad is attended to--by the third person listening--so that commitments to specific values (e.g., values in this game) are honored very strongly and consistently. Triads lead other triads and entire groups to evolve into things being about "us". Everybody begins speaking in terms of "we".

I'm in a triad in the Pogotribe which is currently expanding triads out to all online participants, although we are in only our second wave. I also just attended a 9 week tele-training session with John King, the author of Tribal Leadership, who teaches the triad structure as a structure naturally implementing practices that people often work and strive for. A triad is great. There is no big huge work to get straight with each other what is worth being up to, and you naturally start standing for the others in the triad--even as they solidly and easily support you.

If you are interested, we have resources out there, including triads and John King. Let me know. Cecilia punion@gmail.com
Trust, hmm tough one. Trust comes in many forms, trusting someone to be on time for something is alot different from trusting them with your life in a high pressure or spontaneous situation. One is time-keeping & putting an equal value on others' time and the other is a test of true character.

Its also important to realise the difference between reputation and character - reputation is merely how someone seems from other people's perspectives - and is often a truer indicator of the character of the JudgER not the judgEE. Another way to look at this is its often easier (on forums) to see someone's character from what they infer about what other people are saying, i.e. the meaning they themselves add 'in between the lines'.

I agree that the 'gap' between what people say and how they act is a very good indicator of character, but would be even harder to spot in this medium - given all the oppertunity for mis-representation. It's easy to lie in a blog , unverifiable 'facts' arent really facts. Also the fact that people can infer all sorts of things from writing which is lacking in any 'tone of voice' could lead to issues long term with trying to build this sort of model of someone's inherent trust-worthyness - we may build a 'bad model' of someone in our heads; based on our own prejudices.

I hate to say it, but I feel the only way to truly know if you could trust someone (to overcome their greed or sense of 'selfbenefit') in that 's*** hits the fan moment' is to let the s*** hit the fan and see what happens.

That's not to say we can't simulate lots of s*** hitting lots of fans, and I follow Jane's lead on this one, lets use MMORPG to solve this problem for us - look at what something awful did to EVE through their gaming community (busy little bees). We could follow their model of involving people in regular expeditions into other 'virtual worlds' - It's important to not let the focus on the goal of evoke blind us from other possibilities - so we could build trust and a real community in the same way we do it in reality - through interacting with each other in many different ways and environments. Even if its just the odd game of chess, i'm not suggesting we all become WoW junkies.

Anyhow, thats my ten-pence worth :P

www.ted.com <- i'm putting this everywhere, enlighten one's-self, its much better than 'TV' :P
While everyone knows that trust is important at the level of platitude, it's nice to have some journeying-experts on hand who have a more lived appreciation of it especially in relation to the sorts of problems we are facing on EVOKE like working with NGOs. (+1 run-on sentence)

I think their is a big human difference between trustworthiness and dependability. Clearly, there will be overlap. But I would like to hear what people who work with NGOs have to say about the difference.

I think trust lies in the expectation of caring (at best) and lack of treachery, ship-jumping, and negligence (at least). Dependability lies in the expectation that delivery of output will a) be punctual, contextual, and reliable and that there will be b) intelligent, effortful, and quick response to mistakes or unforeseeable disruptions to the delivery of output.

With that distinction and human nature in mind, I surmise that potential beneficiaries and NGOs will be acutely aware of how easy it is to act untrustworthy and pretend (or self-deceive) that a given untrustworthy act is the less morally blameworthy act of in-dependability. (+2 run-on sentence)

There is lots of easy wiggle room for moral fudge factor since the beneficiaries don't have the social capital to make benefactors ashamed (easily).

fudge-factor - http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_ariely_on_our_buggy_moral_cod...
in a totally different context.
Trust is very difficult to define as it's too personal thing.

As people before me mentioned in online communities commitment is all too often mistaken for trust. For example taking computer games as an example: take a player that is extremely committed to the game, is always on time for events and possibly organises a lot of them. In this case I would agree that there may be someone else, who invests just as much time as him, that really trusts him, but could he be trusted by someone who neglects the game, or simply does not have time? Maybe, but not necessary.

So in my opinion would be that trust exist between friends and can only be (dis)proven by unexpected situations, that require some serious effort by one party without expecting any reward.
In various projects/games/etc what you want is commitment, and if you can befriend and trust someone - it's a bonus.

As for collaboration one way to do it (naturally that would possibly require some modifications to system) would be to disperse different messages to different users, not unique but just a few variations, and make users find who has the other part they need, or simply make them do something in a group and add a way to anonymously vote contribution by other members of a group.
Trust can only be achieved or gained by seeing what the person on the other side is willing to do for you and others. I tend to trust most people to be themselves and rather than judge or pick appart their weaknesses I just move on if the person I am dealing/working with does not engage or have what I consider valid interaction.

I am a firm belevier in the Term/Concept of: "Emotional intelligence" - see and read the book by Daniel Coleman

Some folks have it some don't, others have it and don't even know what it is or how they apply it to life on a day to day basis.
Thanks Evo for your piece of mind on it...... The first proof for trust is We are here and we listen each other, Secondly Evoke is the plateform where by exactly we can translate our words into trust. I think we all are volunteerly working for the international development and we trust that we will be working together...... I think we dont need any guarantee from each other........... because again it would be shaped in words and you know untill there are actions trust can not be developed on mere words............ For me, Actions speak louder than words.............

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Ning Admin is now a member of Urgent Evoke
May 17, 2023
N updated their profile
Sep 25, 2020
Sophie C. commented on Asger Jon Vistisen's blog post Stinging Nettle
"I love that you've brought this to attention. An extensive database of uncommon but resistant and hardy plants/foods could be developed and organized by climate. Ease of growth and processing should also be taken in to account. I will try to…"
Aug 19, 2020
Meghan Mulvey posted a blog post

Fourth of July on the Lake

This past weekend was the annual celebration at the lake house in Connecticut. It is amazing that the lake is still so clear and beautiful after all these years. The watershed association has done a wonderful job protecting these waters from the damaging effects of development.The wood grill was finally ready to cook on, so we didn't miss the propane tank fueled grill anymore. The food actually tasted fresher than in the past and was easy to keep fueled.Dad was very proud of the solar hybrid…See More
Jul 6, 2020
Asger Jon Vistisen posted a blog post

Stinging Nettle

In this blog post I will focus on a plant that is abundant in our nature, and which is immensely nutritious. It's of course the Stinging Nettle. Let's start with the chemical constituents of this plant:37 % Non-Nitrogen-Extracts19 - 29 % Ash9 - 21 % Fiber4 % Fat22 % ProteinOnce the leaves are drid, their protein content can reach an astounding 40 %, which is much higher than beef, which even under the best of circ**stances can never exceed 31 % protein. In addition the Stinging Nettle consists…See More
Apr 13, 2020
Jonathon McCallum posted a blog post

The meal

It is 7'oclock, I was late home from work due to an assignment that i wanted to get ahead on. By the time I get home I am feeling extremley tired and I cannot be bothered to make a proper meal. I walk to the fridge and open it to see what there is for me to eat. All of the out of date foodstuffs have been automaticaly thrown away by the fridge, they will be recycled tomorrow as animal feed or something. I see i have organic local eggs and some local cheese. Foods are vacc** sealded for easy…See More
Mar 10, 2020
Jean Paul Galea shared a profile on Facebook
Mar 1, 2020
Kevin posted a blog post

Future

FutureToday is 2020/1/1. It is just like yesterday. The war is still continuing. It has started since 2010. In 2010, that year was a horrible year. Almost every energy ran out. Every country’s governments were crushed down at the same time. There were riots everywhere. All of the big company’s bosses were killed xdeadx in the riots. Troops fought each other everywhere. Food was bought up xawayx at once. There were no more food supplies in any shops. The economy was all crushed down. All the…See More
Jan 1, 2020
Namwaka Mooto posted blog posts
Jan 13, 2016
T D updated their profile
Sep 3, 2015
Brook Warner posted blog posts
Aug 25, 2015
Santiago Vega posted blog posts
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega commented on Santiago Vega's blog post Act 8
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega posted photos
May 5, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted blog posts
May 2, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted a photo

public servants

The exchange works directly for state and public workers and servants. It gives them credit in exchange for the amount of public work they contribute to the community. The more constructive they are based off a base rate the more credit they recieve.
May 2, 2015

Follow EVOKE on Twitter

Official EVOKE Facebook Page

EVOKE RSS Activity Feed

© 2024   Created by Alchemy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service