Urgent Evoke

A crash course in changing the world.

Hi. This looks great! Thanks for the time and effort. I have my school looking at doing this with our grade 8-10? students, but need to know what security concerns their might be. Can you elablorate on that for us?  Thanks.

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gordon,
Where is your school? I teach 7th & 8th grade in a suburb of Chicago and would LOVE to do this with my computer class. What subject do you teach? How do you view using this in your classroom?
I teach in a distributed learning environment, grades 5-7. So, while EVOKE is a bit old for my students (recommendation is 13+), I am always on the lookout for stuff like this.

I started using Quest Atlantis with my students last year. The phenomenal success of this has led to a need for others to find and embrace more "contemporary" approaches to education for my graduates.

You might want to look into www.questatlantis.org As for EVOKE, I will be considering it for my grade 7s as a Humanities unit for term 3. There are questions however about whether this is going to be an annual project that starts March 3 of every year...changes, expands, etc.

I'd love to hear about what you've been using and having success with.

Gord Holden gholden@nides.bc.ca
About two years ago I used the game, World Without Oil, in my high school social studies classroom. That was a great game and my kids were learning a great deal about the allocation of resources. There were no problems with the game but the school's net nanny stopped access from our school's computers because of fears that our students might access "inappropriate" material. Our school was nuts about that. My students had a hard time writing about World War II becasuse the word Nazi was enough to forbid access. They had to continue with the game at their homes. As far as I could determine there was never anything that could be deemed inappropriate for high school soph***res, 15 and 16 years old.
This is not directly related to using EVOKE in the classroom, but it is about another "Hands on" approach that has had phenomenal success.
http://www.urgentevoke.com/profiles/blogs/game1-catch-the-i-can-bug
Gordon Holden said:
I teach in a distributed learning environment, grades 5-7. So, while EVOKE is a bit old for my students (recommendation is 13+), I am always on the lookout for stuff like this.

I started using Quest Atlantis with my students last year. The phenomenal success of this has led to a need for others to find and embrace more "contemporary" approaches to education for my graduates.

You might want to look into www.questatlantis.org As for EVOKE, I will be considering it for my grade 7s as a Humanities unit for term 3. There are questions however about whether this is going to be an annual project that starts March 3 of every year...changes, expands, etc.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I just received word that the side has been unblocked for my students. Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with them! I would love some ideas. I have to admit, I am a little overwhelmed!
Well, essays for the missions, doing research....geography for Japans layout, perhaps math could be involved with figuring out the needs of the population, science of ecology, plant growth, life cycles of animals and plants, chemistry, etc all could be a part of their plans to save Tokyo....you could either do one profile (if it is ok with the TOS of the site) that is a collaborative effort of the kids, combining the main points from each of the essays into one blog entry, etc.....or each of the kids could choose a pseudonym (for safety reasons) and have their own profile....I imagine they could also work in teams.....the sky is the limit.

Erica Roberts said:
Gordon Holden said:

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I just received word that the side has been unblocked for my students. Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with them! I would love some ideas. I have to admit, I am a little overwhelmed!
What I did with my high school students in the World Without Oil game was to first identify a particular problem in what was an energy crisis scenario, say the ripple effect of fuel price increases through the economy. We would pose solutions and submit them for comment. What the kids learned fast, real fast is that all solutions carry costs and harbor implications they may never have considered. If I were still teaching I would do the same with urgentevoke. Let's say the class thinks that the West should send subsidized or even free food to countries having difficulty feeding their populations. Sounds like a good idea, until they find out that subsidized food distribution puts local farmers out of business. Why would the people buy locally grown food if it is being donated by other countries ? The donor nation now controls the developing country's food supply and can pressure its now client state to folow its agenda. Students need to realize solutioms to complex problems need to be thought through. Games like Urgent Evoke offer them the opportunity to see this.
I'd say have them register with Firstnames and pseudonyms for their last names. Choose graphics as their icons and there shouldn't be any real problem. Teach them password management with diceware, and don't use their home e-mails for e-mail. Maybe a class-wide e-mail address?
how about splitting them into groups, have them look around the site till they find something that interests them, and have them do a blog post a week about it or anything related or pertinent. Reward them for powers they get, allow them to present their ideas to class etc. I think evoke would be a wonderful platform in a school, one i wish i had access to when i was their age!
good answer to the original question ... and the first one ;-)

thx

Brian Ballsun-Stanton said:
I'd say have them register with Firstnames and pseudonyms for their last names. Choose graphics as their icons and there shouldn't be any real problem. Teach them password management with diceware, and don't use their home e-mails for e-mail. Maybe a class-wide e-mail address?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Ning Admin is now a member of Urgent Evoke
May 17, 2023
N updated their profile
Sep 25, 2020
Sophie C. commented on Asger Jon Vistisen's blog post Stinging Nettle
"I love that you've brought this to attention. An extensive database of uncommon but resistant and hardy plants/foods could be developed and organized by climate. Ease of growth and processing should also be taken in to account. I will try to…"
Aug 19, 2020
Meghan Mulvey posted a blog post

Fourth of July on the Lake

This past weekend was the annual celebration at the lake house in Connecticut. It is amazing that the lake is still so clear and beautiful after all these years. The watershed association has done a wonderful job protecting these waters from the damaging effects of development.The wood grill was finally ready to cook on, so we didn't miss the propane tank fueled grill anymore. The food actually tasted fresher than in the past and was easy to keep fueled.Dad was very proud of the solar hybrid…See More
Jul 6, 2020
Asger Jon Vistisen posted a blog post

Stinging Nettle

In this blog post I will focus on a plant that is abundant in our nature, and which is immensely nutritious. It's of course the Stinging Nettle. Let's start with the chemical constituents of this plant:37 % Non-Nitrogen-Extracts19 - 29 % Ash9 - 21 % Fiber4 % Fat22 % ProteinOnce the leaves are drid, their protein content can reach an astounding 40 %, which is much higher than beef, which even under the best of circ**stances can never exceed 31 % protein. In addition the Stinging Nettle consists…See More
Apr 13, 2020
Jonathon McCallum posted a blog post

The meal

It is 7'oclock, I was late home from work due to an assignment that i wanted to get ahead on. By the time I get home I am feeling extremley tired and I cannot be bothered to make a proper meal. I walk to the fridge and open it to see what there is for me to eat. All of the out of date foodstuffs have been automaticaly thrown away by the fridge, they will be recycled tomorrow as animal feed or something. I see i have organic local eggs and some local cheese. Foods are vacc** sealded for easy…See More
Mar 10, 2020
Jean Paul Galea shared a profile on Facebook
Mar 1, 2020
Kevin posted a blog post

Future

FutureToday is 2020/1/1. It is just like yesterday. The war is still continuing. It has started since 2010. In 2010, that year was a horrible year. Almost every energy ran out. Every country’s governments were crushed down at the same time. There were riots everywhere. All of the big company’s bosses were killed xdeadx in the riots. Troops fought each other everywhere. Food was bought up xawayx at once. There were no more food supplies in any shops. The economy was all crushed down. All the…See More
Jan 1, 2020
Namwaka Mooto posted blog posts
Jan 13, 2016
T D updated their profile
Sep 3, 2015
Brook Warner posted blog posts
Aug 25, 2015
Santiago Vega posted blog posts
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega commented on Santiago Vega's blog post Act 8
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega posted photos
May 5, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted blog posts
May 2, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted a photo

public servants

The exchange works directly for state and public workers and servants. It gives them credit in exchange for the amount of public work they contribute to the community. The more constructive they are based off a base rate the more credit they recieve.
May 2, 2015

Follow EVOKE on Twitter

Official EVOKE Facebook Page

EVOKE RSS Activity Feed

© 2024   Created by Alchemy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service