I have come to this day for a purpose. I am not here to elevate fear. I am hear to help women fear less. The thing that most people need to know is that rape and other physical abuses are the most common problem for women and young children. As I have said before just about all the women I know have had someone molest them at one time are the other. I want women and children to know that they can arm themselves with knowledge and learn to keep an eye out for those who would hurt them.Because I can not give them all a weapon (and oh how i wish that I could) I will arm them with the only thing I can give and that is knowledge.. I have noticed that there are some similarities to the rape crisis in the Congo and other areas of Africa to the one in America . In Africa the rate is like one out of three women is raped. Some boys
interviewed said that 'jackrolling' - a South African term for
recreational gang rape - was fun. The girls, of course said that their situation was intolerable
and I have found that rape is the fastest growing crime in the world today with the US as the country with the one of the highest number of reported incidents. One of every four women that attend college has been either raped or suffered from an attempted rape. We have a problem with date rape in the US and spousal abuse as well. A woman is raped, at a minimum every minute. On average, 1,871 rapes occur every day, however, 85% of all rapes are never reported. It is believed that the number of rapes in the US may be as high as 500,000 per year. These acts of violence are perpetrated against women of all ages (no woman is too young or too old for a rapist). In fact three out of five rapes that occur are against women under the age of 18, while three out of every ten victims are under the age of 11. The most scary part is that of all the rape incidents only 22% are actually done by strangers, while friends, acquaintances and or members of the victim’s family perpetrate the other 78% (usually at someone’s home vs. a dark alley).
1.Be alert! Keep looking around and be sure to be aware of your surroundings and who is in them. Watch out for people who are invading your space do not be afraid to say no! They do not care what you feel so do not be afraid to say no when you mean no and yes when you mean yes.
2.Any man is a potential rapist.
3.Family, friends and acquaintances are most likely to rape.
4.Be very confident of yourself and evoke a strong confidence. The ones that rape want an easy mark.
5.Be careful who you drink with because there is a link between alcohol and rape
6.You do have the choice to dress as provocative as you like and drink all you want but just know that this puts you at higher risk for getting raped.
7.Always travel in pairs. do not go out alone. In some areas always go with a friend day or night.
8.If you feel like something is wrong, TRUST THAT FEELING!. Find the police, an authority figure, Get away.
9.Make sure you stay where it is lit well. Rapists do not want to be seen! If it is dark and you are alone and unarmed be careful.
10. Make sure you stay around a crowd you are less likely to get raped if lots of people are around
11.If some one attacks you make as much noise as possible and run away as fast as you can. Here in the US more people will hear you if you cry out FIRE instead of rape. They respond quickly to fire. (I do not know if this is true in other countries but i wouldn't doubt it).
12.Whether you decide to resist a rapist is an intensely personal decision that no one can second-guess. There could be situations where you might decide not to resist and allow someone to rape you. It’s your call, and there should be no guilt associated with that decision “You can survive a rape.” Survival is the primary consideration. However, YOU MUST REPORT IT IMMEDIATELY !!
Parents. Always know who the people are that are taking care of your children. In countries where names are put on clothing this is a big mistake for children. Anyone can call them by their name seen on their shirt, shoes or book-bag. Always trust you intuition, if you think a person is bad they probably are.
I know that there are other considerations to think of in other countries but I can only report what I am familiar with.
I would reccommend reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin Debecker. He knows how the abusers and stalkers think. I give this to all of my friends.http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440508835http://www.unmultimedia.org/tv/unifeed/d/15053.html