I'm a long-time supporter of FoodShare in Toronto, Canada. While food banks are necessary, organizations like FoodShare empower people through education, grassroots efforts, and smart local economics. Their wholistic approach looks at the entire food system - how food is produced, distributed and consumed.
Some of FoodShare's initiatives:
- Good Food Box - People buy boxes of fresh, healthy foods at cost from local farmers.
- Community Kitchens - People work together to prepare large portions of nutritious meals that they take home. Great for strengthening social ties, learning healthy food practices, and saving money.
- Field to Table Schools - Student nutrition programs are developed with Toronto Public Health and other community agencies.
- Learn more about community-based food organizations like FoodShare.
- Donate to charities using secure and trusted sites like CanadaHelps.org.