We’re launching a new alternate reality game. It’s called EVOKE, and we’re putting together a team of five game assistants to help us run it.
“If you have a problem, and you can’t solve it alone, EVOKE it.”
About the game
The goal of the game is to help empower young people all over the world, and especially young people in Africa, to come up with creative solutions to our most pressing problems: hunger, poverty, disease, war and oppression, water access, education, climate change.
The game is a project for the World Bank Institute (the learning and knowledge arm of the World Bank).
We consider it a crash course in changing the world.
The game runs for 10 weeks, with a new mission and a new quest each week.
Players who successfully complete all 10 missions and all 10 quests will be able to claim their honors: World Bank Institute Certified Social Innovator – Class of 2010.
Top players will also earn mentorships with experienced social innovators and business leaders from around the world.
About the job
UPDATE: We have received over 100 applications and are in the process of putting our team together. We are still looking for team members in South Africa, Uganda, Kenya, Nigeria, the Ghambia, Liberia. If you live in another part of the world and would like to be a member of the beta community or a "special agent" who helps us kick-start the game on opening day, we would love to add to you our extended team. Please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org introducing yourself and your powers. (Question 1 and Question 4 below)
If you join our team, you’ll be needed online for 1 full day (8 hours) a week for 10 weeks (March 3 – May 12, 2010), plus a few days for pre-game orientation and training.
You can work from anywhere in the world.
You can choose which day (or night) of the week you’ll work.
• Play the game
• Help answer other players’ questions
• Moderate discussions
• Review “mission evidence” (blog posts, videos, photos, e.g.) completed quests, so you can award points to players
• Write a weekly blog post, or make a weekly video, reviewing your favorite moments from the game that week
• Great at social networks and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Ning, etc.)
• Able to consume lots of digital media quickly (watch lots of videos, read lots of blog posts, follow lots of Tweets) and pick out the most interesting stuff
• Trustworthy, reliable, able to work independently
• An epic sense of adventure – this is a brand new game with very big goals
Honorarium: $1000 USD, plus an invitation to the EVOKE conference in Washington, DC
Experience that will be helpful (but not required):
• You’ve helped run or moderate an online community before, and/or
• You know something about social innovation/social enterprise, and/or
• You know something about Africa, and/or
• You’ve played one of my games before (examples: Superstruct, Top Secret Dance Off, The Lost Ring, World Without Oil)
We don’t need CVs or anything formal, just send an email to email@example.com and make sure to tell us these four things:
1. Introduce yourself: where you live, what kind of work you do, or if you’re in school, what you’re studying; what games you play, what social networks you participate in, any special skills or talents we should know about.
2. If you have any experience with social innovation or social enterprise, let us know. If you don’t, check out http://www.poptech.org/sifellows
and ashoka.org and then tell us why the idea of social innovation/enterprise has you all excited now!
3. If you have any experience with local problem solving in Africa, let us know. If you don’t, check out http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/aug/19/africa-technology-...
and tell us why you now think “bushpunk” is awesome and inspiring.
4. Pick 3 of the following EVOKE powers and tell us how you embody them.
•Local insight (know your community)
•Knowledge networking (share what you learn)
•Spark (inspire others and build momentum for change)