Ten things I could do to help a community further their water security efforts:
- Install low-flow shower heads.
- Help them check for leaks in their pipes in and around their houses.
- They could as well turn off their water when brushing their teeth or washing dishes. They should water their lawn or plants only at night. Fill one bucket of water when washing their cars - don't use a hose! Drink tap water.They could wash their fruits and vegetables in a bowl instead of running them under a tap. Then use the water from the bowl to water their garden.
- They could keep a jug of water in the fridge so they don't have to turn the tap on all the time.
- They should only run their washer or dishwasher when it is a full load.
- They could as well encourage their local schools, businesses, and government to develop and promote a water conversation effort in the community.