Urgent Evoke

A crash course in changing the world.


I perform most of my cognitive work on the web through Google reader (as opposed to e-mail.) I would like to request a filtered feed that indicates comments on activity I'm following, friend requests, and other things that would normally go into e-mail.

Edit:
Turns out there is one. For people who are interested, look at your profile, scroll to the bottom of your activity log, and the rss icon /there/ is of your log. A bit unwieldy, but it works.

Edit2: We need the APIs exposed. Let us build our own tools from the components of the site.

Edit3: As noted in the comments, I made a yahoo pipe. Here's a list of published pipes pointing at urgentEvoke.com http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/search? r=source:urgentevoke.com For a RSS howto see my blog post.

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Addendum. That log is pretty useless in practice. Updated request: "Interesting activity feed" where interactions with posted content and new content from "people you follow" (shouldn't require bi-directionality) but not their interactions can appear in one aggregated feed.
More feature requests: Please show badges and points next to names in search results. Allow us to set points based parameters for our search results. I'm not interested in searching through people who aren't active to find interesting local people.

Feature request 4: Remember sort preferences. Choosing sort by random every time is a waste of clicks. Of course, if we had proper following aggregation, we wouldn't need this.

Feature request 5: Have a "follow people" option. I know that there's a mentor site for that, but there's no integration. EVOKE would be far more useful with a following "paradigm" (Sorry Kuhn) than a "friend" paradigm. Especially as symetrical following *is* friendship for purposes of this site.
I've got the cliq- running andriod I want to be able to put my EVOKE e-mails into an feed that allows me to just scroll through easily instead of the gazillion e-mails I've been getting.
I want to know- but my personal inbox has been overrun! Atleast google has labels so I can organize better.
Yeah. I'm actually doing something with yahoo pipes right now to ... maybe fix that. I'll drop a link in this thread when I'm happy with it.

Crystal Bellar said:
I've got the cliq- running andriod I want to be able to put my EVOKE e-mails into an feed that allows me to just scroll through easily instead of the gazillion e-mails I've been getting.
I want to know- but my personal inbox has been overrun! Atleast google has labels so I can organize better.
I'll let this one slip: as a game runner and a developer of EVOKE tools, I kind of want an API too. However, Ning is (IMO) unreasonably restrictive—they used to have APIs, but they took them away in favor of the not-so-good OpenSocial APIs from Google that don't really achieve what I wanted to achieve.

Yeah. It's a limitation.
Any API is better than what I'm doing now. Have a linky?

Nathaniel Fruchter said:
I'll let this one slip: as a game runner and a developer of EVOKE tools, I kind of want an API too. However, Ning is (IMO) unreasonably restrictive—they used to have APIs, but they took them away in favor of the not-so-good OpenSocial APIs from Google that don't really achieve what I wanted to achieve.

Yeah. It's a limitation.
Well, I've got a really horrible hack.

Discussed here:
http://www.urgentevoke.com/profiles/blogs/a-personalied-rss-feed-for

It does kinda-sort what I need it to do, inasmuch as it collates friends' blog posts and lists activity. I need to figure out how to get it to list discussion activity, but I think that's for another tool. This would be so much easier with real API doc**entation.
Give us subforums please. We need a "Games and Challenges" forum, a "Help and Advice" forum, a "Suggestions, Bugs, and Whinging" forum, a "Let's meet" forum, and an "Off topic forum."

Please?
Absolutely - all the information on this site is difficult to navigate, and it's only going to get worse as more people join. Subforums would be a good easy start.

Need better ways to sort through "the evidence". Set categories that cover the main issues, plus a 'miscellaneous', so you can browse through the issues you're interested in without any trouble.

Better ways to find other members with similar interests to your own, to aid collaboration. Current search function is too limited.

I really love the idea of Evoke, but the website usability issues are a let down, taking more time to find stuff than it should.
Currently discussing this. Watch this space.

Re: the APIs—here you go-http://developer.ning.com/notes/Notes_Home

It's not much.
Luci Temple said:
Absolutely - all the information on this site is difficult to navigate, and it's only going to get worse as more people join. Subforums would be a good easy start.
Need better ways to sort through "the evidence". Set categories that cover the main issues, plus a 'miscellaneous', so you can browse through the issues you're interested in without any trouble.
Better ways to find other members with similar interests to your own, to aid collaboration. Current search function is too limited.

I really love the idea of Evoke, but the website usability issues are a let down, taking more time to find stuff than it should.
Thanks for the response, Nathaniel. To a first approximation, those docs look like it's internal-to-server only.

One idea sparked from reading them is make us an EVOKE playground where people like me can write some stuff that would be run "internally" subject to code review. I'd love to ask for EVOKE to be open source, just so we know what hooks we can hit, but I expect that's asking for too much.

If given proper API access, I'd implement a point-giving economy module. (3 functions. 1) Display the posts with the most points by category and posts that have had the most points added in the last time x. 2) Give people the ability to burn their own points to give them to others. 2a) Maybe allow people to burn their own points at something like 5:1 to burn them from others. 3) Display a log of those points transfers, publically. 3a) Display a voting log of power votes in general.

What I'm doing now is non-site based RSS hackery. Exposing an RSS or JSON (please, oh please) half-way API could be useful for the kind of remixes I've done with... rather less BS. Functions that would make me squee: "Given a Display name, output screenName and userName." "Given a screenName, output list of friends Screennames." "Given a screenName, output Display name." "Given a screenName, output a filterable via POST or GET flags list of activity. Filters include "Incoming and outgoing: Forums, comments, blogs, pictures, votes, and videos."

It's... trivial to implement the above with internal code access, but that gets back to sandbox zone. In non-sandbox, it's possible to do via JSON/REST without too much trouble.

Nathaniel Fruchter said:
Currently discussing this. Watch this space.

Re: the APIs—here you go-http://developer.ning.com/notes/Notes_Home

It's not much.
Luci Temple said:
Absolutely - all the information on this site is difficult to navigate, and it's only going to get worse as more people join. Subforums would be a good easy start.
Need better ways to sort through "the evidence". Set categories that cover the main issues, plus a 'miscellaneous', so you can browse through the issues you're interested in without any trouble.
Better ways to find other members with similar interests to your own, to aid collaboration. Current search function is too limited.

I really love the idea of Evoke, but the website usability issues are a let down, taking more time to find stuff than it should.
Feature request, trivial: "Exclude people who have not done quest 1 from search results" checkbox.
Bug fix: There are a number of people in advanced search who have wonky power scores. But they're the /same/ wonky.

Reproduction of bug:
Go to: http://www.urgentevoke.com/profile/KathleenQuills
Or: http://www.urgentevoke.com/profile/SarahCarlisle
Observe no contributions, observe over 100 points.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Latest Activity

Asger Jon Vistisen posted a blog post

Stinging Nettle

In this blog post I will focus on a plant that is abundant in our nature, and which is immensely nutritious. It's of course the Stinging Nettle. Let's start with the chemical constituents of this plant:37 % Non-Nitrogen-Extracts19 - 29 % Ash9 - 21 % Fiber4 % Fat22 % ProteinOnce the leaves are drid, their protein content can reach an astounding 40 %, which is much higher than beef, which even under the best of circ***tances can never exceed 31 % protein. In addition the Stinging Nettle consists…See More
Apr 13
Jonathon McCallum posted a blog post

The meal

It is 7'oclock, I was late home from work due to an assignment that i wanted to get ahead on. By the time I get home I am feeling extremley tired and I cannot be bothered to make a proper meal. I walk to the fridge and open it to see what there is for me to eat. All of the out of date foodstuffs have been automaticaly thrown away by the fridge, they will be recycled tomorrow as animal feed or something. I see i have organic local eggs and some local cheese. Foods are vacc** sealded for easy…See More
Mar 10
Jean Paul Galea shared a profile on Facebook
Mar 1
Kevin posted a blog post

Future

FutureToday is 2020/1/1. It is just like yesterday. The war is still continuing. It has started since 2010. In 2010, that year was a horrible year. Almost every energy ran out. Every country’s governments were crushed down at the same time. There were riots everywhere. All of the big company’s bosses were killed xdeadx in the riots. Troops fought each other everywhere. Food was bought up xawayx at once. There were no more food supplies in any shops. The economy was all crushed down. All the…See More
Jan 1
Namwaka Mooto posted blog posts
Jan 13, 2016
T D updated their profile
Sep 3, 2015
Brook Warner posted blog posts
Aug 25, 2015
Santiago Vega posted blog posts
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega commented on Santiago Vega's blog post Act 8
May 5, 2015
Santiago Vega posted photos
May 5, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted blog posts
May 2, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted a photo

public servants

The exchange works directly for state and public workers and servants. It gives them credit in exchange for the amount of public work they contribute to the community. The more constructive they are based off a base rate the more credit they recieve.
May 2, 2015
Brian Hurley posted blog posts
May 2, 2015
Brian Hurley commented on Brian Hurley's blog post ACT: Future of Currency
May 2, 2015
Rico Angel Rodriguez posted a blog post

Where I will be in ten years.

Ten years from now I will be in a political job assisting with people in the midlands of South Carolina particularly the rural working class and farmers. As the class of people that feed the nation I find that it is imperative that we assist with making sure they produce as much food as possible. I would like to support local scientists as well that are leading in research on how to produce food more efficiently. I will also be participating in missions to foreign countries to help people with…See More
May 1, 2015
Jeffrey Smeriglio posted blog posts
Apr 29, 2015

Follow EVOKE on Twitter




Official EVOKE Facebook Page




EVOKE RSS Activity Feed










© 2020   Created by Alchemy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service