A crash course in changing the world.
I would have liked to enhance the gear ratio but I was already using the largest and smallest Lego gears that I had. I could have added more gears to increase the ratio but that adds friction. Friction = Waste.
I added 10ft of cable, which will add resistance, but now I won't have to be out on my roof to check the readings.
Although I didn't have the camera ready I recorded a high of 2.2 volts.
I found a way to calculate the maximum energy that it is possible to generate using wind. According to Betz Limit, wind energy efficiency maxes out at ~59% which is pretty good. I think that its time for me to sit down and calculate how much energy I need to charge my laptop. Then build a turbine that generates that much. Then I get to go to a junk yard!
Oh yeah! the other fan didn't end up working. The blades were too small and they couldn't be turned by the wind. I was able to make it always turn towards the wind by having it pivot around the center of balance. If I get my real homework done I will try and do the calculations this weekend.